Today’s snack recipe was Evan’s idea. He and Will assembled these flightless cuties, after directing me in the slicing and dicing. He saw them on his favorite YouTube “foodie porn” show — Nerdy Nummies. The show’s creator, Rosanna Pansino calls them Socially Awkward Penguins. Ours take socially awkward a step further by being green rather than black (I “like” black olives, but I “love” green olives!)
What you’ll need (for TEN penguins):
10 large olives (these seem to be described, generally, on the jar as “Queen” olives)
10 regular olives
One fresh carrot sliced into ten 0.25″ disks
About 4 tablespoons cream cheese (we happened to have ‘whipped’ and it worked out fine) in a sealed snack-size ziploc with one corner clipped off.
- Cut a “pie slice” out of each carrot disk, to make feet.
- Cut a smaller, thin, triangle out of the discarded carrot bits, to make beaks.
- Insert beaks into “x” end of the smaller olives (also identifiable as the the non-pimento end, if you are using the little green ones that we like), to finish the heads.
- Carve a rectangular channel in the front of the large olives and fill with the cream cheese “icing” in the bag.
- Stack the feet, body, and heads and push a toothpick through all pieces.
Easy peasy!! And so cute. I must confess that, of all of the ingredients, I actually like CARROTS the least, but really enjoyed these eaten in one bite with all of the flavors crunched up together.
Try them — and check out Nerdy Nummies!