I’m so unbelievably pleased to use my 101st post to revel in the fact that a blogging buddy, Little Miss Obsessive’s Anatomy (check her out, she’s AWESOME), has nominated me for a Kreative Blogger Award!
Her nod could not have come at a better time. Just the other day, I was rolling about in a funky mope fest (note: an extra-large wine glass is crucial to one-person mope fests) over the fact that I have YET to officially submit a piece of writing ANYWHERE, although I write quite a bit. A good friend reminded me that, duh, I BLOG…in public and everything…and, right now, that’s enough. Then, within 24 hours, I was pleasantly surprised by LMOA’s sharing my blog with her readers and bestowing this honor on my blog. **big smile**
Nothing feels as good as somebody stopping by and “liking” a post or letting me know that they totally “get” what I was trying to say. I started the blog for ME, to capture some of the ideas that I might write more on some day, and knowing that a few other people enjoy it is the icing on the cake, so to speak. Where I am and what I’m doing now has to be ENOUGH, and it is.
Without further ado…….as part of my duties as a recipient, I must SHARE seven things about myself….
2. I can’t run. Really. I can’t. This should be interesting, when I “do” my first 5K, in May. I can walk super fast for miles, but more than two minutes into a jog, I am gasping like a trout on shore. I don’t have asthma or any other limiting condition that I’m aware of, and it’s very frustrating. Even in high school, I could never “run” the timed mile. Every time I tried, I ended up shuffling along with the fat kids and asthmatics at the back of the pack…..and I weighed about a buck-o-five. Several people have observed that I “breathe funny” when I run. Silly me, I thought that IN, followed by OUT, was pretty standard breathing protocol.
3. In the summer of 1985, I rode my Schwinn around our block over 100 times, to capture the attention of one of our neighbor’s grandson’s who was visiting. I finally met him when he flagged me down and asked me if I was “training for something”. Hindsight being what it is, I should have told him that I was an obsessive compulsive in training. Who knew?
4. I won my middle school spelling bee TWICE. I was also subsequently eliminated in the first round of the state spelling bee TWICE. Reminds me of ABCs Wide World of Sports – “the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.” I guess that makes me the guy that eats it, coming off the ski jump…..
5. I didn’t drink soda until I went to college. It wasn’t banned in our house – on the contrary, those were the days before bottled spring water, and my parents would have PAID me to drink soda at amusement parks, movie theaters, etc. I didn’t like the “fizzy-ness”. I started drinking soda when I started drinking beer. True story.
6. My first AND current job was/is as an assistant librarian. Life comes full circle.
7. I love olives; the little green ones stuffed with pimento. I hate martinis.
Phew! Next….nominate other blogs that I enjoy…..